My Own Little Space

My dilemma over studio vs larger space solved itself this past week, with a little help from a friend.  Apartment hunting in a smaller community is not the same as apartment hunting in larger, metropolitan areas like Los Angeles or Austin.  There isn't an endless supply of places to live and premium apartments go quickly.  My friend's husband, who haunts eBay and Craigslist and who could make a very good living finding things on people's wish lists, found a newly listed apartment in a great location for a price I could manage.  I viewed it the next morning and rented it that same day.  Just in time.  My sweet retired show dog, Colton, is going on 13 now and the stairs at my friend's house were becoming increasingly difficult for him to manage.  This apartment is main level, so no more tortuous climb for him (or me). While not a studio, the apartment is by no means large yet not quite small, either.  At around 950 sf, it has an light, bright, open concept living room and kitchen, big bathroom and two smallish bedrooms.  There is a little patio with a yard for my puppy to enjoy and the assigned parking space is smack dab in front of the apartment...a definite plus. More importantly, the space just suits me! Sitting at my kitchen island last evening, eating pizza off a paper plate, drinking a very nice wine (thanks, Don!) from a coffee cup, it suddenly came over me in a rush that I am seriously, deliriously happy in this space!

When my truckload of belongings finally arrives from California, I am going to execute a thoughtful move.  My sister in law gave me the idea when she was describing how, after her house has been remodeled, she was going to take her time unpacking, keeping only what she really likes and really needs. All of the rest, those odds and ends that we acquire along the way, will be sorted into give away or sell boxes. I like that idea. Why put a muffin pan in my cupboard when I never plan to make muffins?  Why do I need 6 layer cake pans when I would rather poke myself in the eye than bake a layer cake?  I even have a little pan, providence unknown, that makes tiny loaves of something.  I don't know what since I have never made tiny loaves of anything. These things are going straight into the yard sale box.  But there are some things that I will probably never use yet I will also probably never get rid of.  A single crystal goblet, a silver tea pot, a cut glass punch bowl with a removable stand, silver plated cutlery, cutwork table runners, a crocheted afghan in eye-popping avocado and orange...all things from various grand and great grandparents.  All priceless.  I don't want to get rid of them, but have zero interest in displaying and therefore dusting them. There are also lots of things from childhood (both mine and my kids') that I will never, ever part with.  Everything else is fair game. 

Being in the apartment without my furniture is giving me the time to mentally place furniture and art work.  I know exactly where I want my things to go right down to the kitchen knives and my favorite salsa dish. When the moving truck rumbles into the parking lot sometime next week and the ramp clangs down, I will be ready to officially move in.  But I already feel like I am home.

Popular Posts