Cruisin' with my mom, the Planning Stage



My mom turned 90 July of last year, a milestone for sure. I started asking her in March what she would like to do to celebrate. My mom does not enjoy surprises nor is she at all spontaneous, so the more time to prepare the better. After going back and forth about how she saw herself celebrating (California to see family, Chicago for more family, Hawaii), she finally decided she wanted to go on a cruise. She and my dad had been on several cruises in the 80s and she was eager to share that experience with me, a cruise virgin, and my daughter, a cruise veteran. So where to go? Cruises to Mexico/Bahamas/Caribbean were out (too hot). Alaska was also out (too cold). She chose an 8 day cruise along the West Coast, from Seattle south to Astoria, Monterrey and San Francisco then north to Victoria BC and back to Seattle. We are just a day's drive from Seattle, so the plan was to drive over the day before, stay in a hotel, then be ready early the next morning to board the Star Princess. We booked the trip, downloaded a cruise app, ordered her a fold-up combo wheelchair/walker, and I'd like to say settled down to happily wait until the September cruise. We did not. That was the longest 6 months of my life. The. Longest. 

In addition to not liking surprises and not being spontaneous, my mom is a worrier, a ditherer, a drive you up the wall discusser of plans. For 6 months we played the game What's in that city? The game was played daily, sometimes with me, sometimes with my daughter, sometimes with all 3 of us. It went something like this.

Mom: what cities are we going to?
Me: Astoria, Monterrey, San Francisco, Victoria
Mom: what about Seattle?
Me: we'll be in Seattle but just long enough to board the ship
Mom: where is Astoria?
Me: Oregon
Mom: why are we stopping in Oregon?
Me: It's on the way to Monterrey.
Mom: do we have to get off the boat? Are you getting off the boat?
Me: no, you don't have to but yes, I am.
Mom: what's in Astoria?
Me: a fun downtown with restaurants, cute stores.
Mom: what kind of stores?
Me: boutiques mostly. 
Mom: what kind of restaurants?
Me: all kinds, seafood for sure.
Mom: I don't think I'll get off the boat.
Me: won't you be bored by yourself on the ship? 
Mom: I'll read and take a nap and order room service. What's the next stop?
Me: we have a day at sea, then Monterrey.
Mom: I've been to Monterrey. I don't think there is anything there I want to see.
Me: so you'll stay on the boat that day, too?
Mom: yes. Then where?
Me: San Francisco
Mom: I've been to San Francisco, too. Where else are we stopping?
Me: Victoria, BC
Mom: Canada? We're going all the way to Canada? Why? What's in Canada? Are you getting off the boat in Canada?
Me: yes, I'm getting off the ship at all of the ports. 
Mom: I don't think I will 
Me: so you don't want to get off the ship at any of the cities? 
Mom: not really. I don't want to have to climb back up the rope ladder.
Me: what rope ladder?
Mom: the one they throw over the side so you can get back on the boat.
Me: what kind of cruises did you and Dad go on where you had to climb a rope ladder to get on the ship? How did you get off, jump over the side? There is a ramp you walk down and back up.
Mom: oh. Is the ramp steep, because I don't think I can push my stroller, I mean my walker, up a steep ramp. 
Me: I doubt it will be steep, otherwise it would be hard for people to get on and off the ship. If it's too steep one of us will push your wheelchair up the ramp.
Mom: I don't think either of you can push me up the ramp.
Me: you weigh like 100 pounds, I think we can manage it.
Mom: So where are we stopping again?
Me: Astoria, Monterrey, San Francisco, Victoria Gardens, then back to Seattle.
Wait for it.....
Mom: what's in Astoria? 

Up next...what do you mean I can't use my cell phone?



Popular Posts